The Premonstratensian Abbey
of St. Margaret and
SUNDAYS 9.00, 10.30, 12.00, 16.00 WEEK DAYS 8.00, 18.00
PARISH OFFICE OPEN ONE HOUR BEFORE EACH MASS
Architecture and interior design features of the church
None of the relicts from the original Premonstratensian Abbey in Witów have survived to our time. Numerous invasions and fires caused the objects which constituted the sanctuary decorations to share the fate of the building. The church was built in a precisely chosen location and is made of rough-cast brick in the late-Baroque style. It is a tree-nave, basilical church. The porch is between 2 quadrangular towers in west façade. Above the porch is the choir loft.
The choir loft with 32-pipe organ dating from 1758.
There are three bay naves and a rectangular presbytery which has the same width as the main nave. In the south side-nave is the narrow St. Cross chapel made of wood. A transparent baroque door leads to the chapel.
In the presbytery and the main nave is cradle-vaulting
with large windows. The side
naves are chapels connected by arcaded passages in which side alters are placed
dedicated to St. Norbert who founded the Premonstratensian order, St. Margaret,
St. Eustace and
In the presbytery, on both sides, are stalls, and on the right side is situated the abbot lodge. The marble font dates from 1646.
By the font is a triptych of St. Stanislaw
from 1585, with scenes from his life and martyrdom. Baroque confessionals have
round paintings of St. John Nepomucyn,
St. Mary-Magdalene, St. David and St. Peter.
Under the choir, back parts of stalls with paintings and a parapet of the musical choir from the previous church.
History of the church in Witów
Witów Abbey dates back to 1179 when
Contributions for renovation of the church can be paid at this account:
PKO BP S.A. 13-10203916-1262113931
St. Margaret and
Witów kol. 20
Phone +48 44 616 12 84 or mobile phone 0603 308 777
Groups of visitors are asked to phone in advance